Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

So I just ripped off.. big time or did I?

3K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  PD87 
#1 ·
Folks,

So I just put some serious cash down, bought a vance and hines exhaust, fuel pak, DDM hid Kit. I was going to take it to custom bike place. Well an associate of mine who is in the same veteran riding club, who is a MMI grad and former harley mechanic. Said, dude dont waste your cash, I will do it all for 300$. So I go to get the bike today and he says " i cant figure out who to do the HID mod, the exhaust is too difficult to put, because it requires extra drilling" Which of course I told him before hand. Think I was going to get my cash back, well at least part of it. Then he says, yeah man. You owe me another 100$!!!! So basically I paid this guy 400$ to have my original exhaust taken a apart and put back on my bike. So much for the riding brotherhood and all that jazz.

#2 ·
Just remember that 1 for every 1000 that come out of any of those so called mechanic schools are mechanics. The one that dose was before he went in. I worked at a place that gave UTI or NASCAR Tech grads a chance. All I can say is a lot of parent wasted 30 grand.

As far as the dude who did your work I wouldnt pay him not to do a job. I mean a little for working on it, but not $400. Even Lux figured out how to work on his own bike and he has proclaimed he is not a wrench.

#3 ·
Wow glad you used the term "Associate" and not "Friend".
I am an NYU drop out and took me 14 minutes to do the HID upgrade.

New Joke for all of us:

"Whats worse then a Harley Mechanic? A Former Harley Mechanic."

#5 ·
Not only did he jack you around on the pricing, but I would think that now you can't trust him to actually do the work correctly.

i am incredibly lucky to have a 14 year master tech at my HD dealership who is meticulous with my bike both from a maintenance and mod perspective...

I am curious. V/H has several exhaust systems for the V-Rod that are very simple plug and play configurations..."extra drilling"????

good luck dude...

#9 ·
Well funny thing. I thought this guy was a professional. So I wanted to do my part. Two days before I sent him "LUX" video that he has on vimeo " how to install the DDM kit". I also told him ahead of time, that the Vance and Hines exhaust is for 2008 VRSC, I have a 2006 R. He told me no issues, I can do the mod and make it happen.

Additioanlly I took his word, as he is a retired Army Ranger and I am active Army, i thought we had his whoel brotherhood thing going.:banghead:

Guess not. Anyways I was going to give the guy $200 for his time and treat him to beer at the our local spot. But when he asked for the extra cash, I was beyond floored.

#8 ·
Its funny to me how arrogant some people truly are, I have never taken on a job/project then screw it up and not finish it And then ask for more $$ then I originally asked for. I have done projects where I have lost money actually because of my screw up or my crew. Amazing to me "I realized I couldnt finish this job and you owe me more money" I do believe I would have told tis guy where to stick the Vance and Hines.

#16 ·
I told you - bring it here and I will put it on. Joe

#22 ·
DA 31, check box marked "pass", submit. be flexible on dates. I have a guest room. Easy ride down.

#24 ·
:notworth::notworth::notworth:
Generous Joe!

#25 ·
What a BS!!! I'd let everyone in that club know how you got ripped off and make sure everyone know who the guy is.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#26 ·
:them:

Already done. I called him out,I dont think he will show his face again to our meetings nor will he get business from anyone associated with our club. The guy is done for.:bash:

#29 ·
You're far too nice. $200 for his "time" is ridiculous. It'd be another thing, maybe, if he said, man, I'm not sure I can do it, but I'll give it a shot. But he said, "no problem!" then didn't do a damn thing. No work = no pay.

Oh well, expensive learning experience I suppose. Sorry yo'ure out so much and still have the work to be done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.