Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

4.9 gallon install

22K views 244 replies 84 participants last post by  smokeydoc 
#1 ·
Today Daniii, Troy, Rob, Cupcake and Roy (gtrman66) who dropped by for a while were at the house and we installed one of the Ricks tanks in Robs (rspencer) 2006 v-rod. The bike is very similar to mine, 240 tire, cfr swing arm and cfr seat and pipe. Total time of the install including cutting splash shield and skid plate 2.5 hours. This was a very casual pace, no hurry at all and taking pictures the entire time.

The bike when we started

pulling the stock switch and latch out of the way to remove the tank

removing the rear axle and wheel

the cfr swingarm exposed along with the tank

pulling the stock tank out

cleaning up any spilled fuel before cutting the skid plate

cutting the skid plate

plate cut before trimming the edge down

holding the new plate in place to drill the holes

all the holes drilled and bolts in place

See less See more
#2 ·
Rob cleaning out any debris from the new tank

taking the flange out

put the flange in the new tank

the directions don't say to but I still glue the old shields on the new tank

sliding the new tank in place

bolting the new tank in place

cutting the splash shield for the siren

shield, swing arm, siren all back in the bike

putting the rear wheel and axle back in place

nothing left but wiping off the hand prints from my gloves and putting gas in and a test ride.

total time 2.5 hours.

#4 ·
tscamardo said:
Nice post Max! You guys got this down to a science now, eh? 2.5 hours isn't bad at all.

BTW, what lift are you using there? Sorry to get off topic.
I posted a month or so back about the lifts. It is a panther lift. They had them on special for months and the day they removed them from there website www.pantherlifts.com I called them and got the last one they had for 599 (with tire lock and scissor lift). Since the company was based out of CA I picked it up in Texas with no shipping and no tax. I didn't want to spend the money but I do so much work on bikes and it doubles as a great work bench.

#5 ·
Cool post Max, the install doesn't really look to hard. I have a feeling that there is going to be alot more installs going on in the near future.

#6 ·
tscamardo said:
Nice post Max! You guys got this down to a science now, eh? 2.5 hours isn't bad at all.

BTW, what lift are you using there? Sorry to get off topic.
That was one clean install and very straight forward too. I'll bet Max could have saved 30 to 45 minutes off the install time if he'd have wanted to. I really had a great time. And yes that is one nice lift. Heck of a deal. :thumb:

#7 ·
Troy said:
That was one clean install and very straight forward too. I'll bet Max could have saved 30 to 45 minutes off the install time if he'd have wanted to. I really had a great time. And yes that is one nice lift. Heck of a deal. :thumb:
Troy is right, we weren't in any hurry at all. I took the time to fit Roy with his gloves, get several cups of coffee and all in all we just had a good time. Really simple install, the bottom skid and the plastic shield are really the only changes needed and both are pretty simple. I used a cut off wheel to cut the plate but you could use any of a dozen things to do the same thing with ease.

#9 ·
MegaZ said:
I didn't see any beer-consumption tutorials in there. :eek:/
LOL I couldn't believe Troy didn't drink a single beer. As for me I don't drink so what you can't see in the picture is my coffee cup. :)

#11 ·
VrodG said:
Great post Max :notworth:

What bolts or rivet did you use to secure the skid plate ? What mods to the splash shield ? Are instruction clear enough for us shade tree mechanic ? :deal:
Rick includes four bolts and two nuts. The bolts self threaded into the frame holes and the two through the bottom have nuts backing them up.

#14 ·
CaptClose said:
Nice post Dr. Max. I'm lovin the latex gloves. Did you happen to check Rob's prostate while you were at it? :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
The gloves are a habit I got into years ago. They keep my hands from getting nearly as many cuts and much easier to keep clean. Not to mention so many chemicals like wd40 and many cleaners go right through the skin or like fuel that drys the skin out.

#16 ·
Max said:
The gloves are a habit I got into years ago. They keep my hands from getting nearly as many cuts and much easier to keep clean. Not to mention so many chemicals like wd40 and many cleaners go right through the skin or like fuel that drys the skin out.
I'm just teasing ya Max. I'm gonna strap my rick tank to my back and ride up to your place when it comes time for the install. This was an excellent "how-to" post!

#17 ·
So that GIANT "RICKS" on the side of the tank is exposed like that? Forever ever? For ever ever?) Hmm not sure about that. But once again a GReat Tutorial Max (almost as good as the Bleeder Movie, 2 Thumbs up for that one) Makes the whole prossess look much easier than I imagined (even though I know I will never do it. I stop at the Skid Plate removal)

#18 ·
CaptClose said:
I'm just teasing ya Max. I'm gonna strap my rick tank to my back and ride up to your place when it comes time for the install. This was an excellent "how-to" post!
Come on up Ryan, be happy to do it for you.

#24 ·
Great post Max. If you and Jeannie are thinking of a holiday in the UK bring your tools I've got a job for you. Not sure the panther will pack so easily though!:notworth:

Mr V Rodder is waiting for his tank so I have a feeling a certain garage in Swindon will start to resemble a certain garage in Texas soon.

Hope all is well with Jeannie?

Jon

#26 ·
capthero5 said:
do you have to cut the bottom skid plate, or could it just be bent straight and flat?
The flap on mine had already been bent flat from a previous tank install so I didn't cut mine and it fit. I tried to follow the directions as best as could on this install so there was no confusion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.