Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

$10k of damage.....

4K views 78 replies 22 participants last post by  Vambo 
#1 ·
Gotta love the "Stuff Happens" motto. Guy hits me in a parking lot and does $10,000 worth of damage to the baby my g/f just recently left me because of. Great how things work out. Bike is in the shop for at least a month and my crushed foot is out a bit longer. Dealer is basically rebuilding the whole bike.

That's the pity shot; now the concerns. As they are going through this with the giant list of parts to replace what are some hidden damages that might crop up? It was laid down for about 45 minutes would their be concern for engine damage even though the impact didn't really involve the engine? And replacing frame sections is necessary should the be concern for the rest of the frame? I wish I knew more about the bike other than how to ride it, but I don't and I just want it right again. I was hit in the right side and somehow as I was flipping over the bike and hood of a car it landed on its right side. From the left you wouldn't know it to be wrecked. Any advice and possible upgrades here since it will be in pieces already would be welcome.

#4 ·
Just about but if it is less than 75% market value then they have to fix it in sc. Plus it's a dealer throwing in the highest price they can put on it. But it is quite the laundry list of stuff they have to replace. The entire front end including wheel tire and abs stuff the whole radiator assembly and most anything else on the right side. I'm just worried about still getting it back less than 100%. Need to make sure they cover everything and anything possibly broken.

#5 ·
How friggin HARD did this yo hit you?? and how are YOU feeling?? geeez

#8 ·
Lawyer is on standby. He hit me hard enough but the front wheel and my foot and peg caught most of his bumper this twisted up that portion of frame pretty good it wasn't full in the right side hit. But the bike slid on its side for a bit while I went airborne. The damage is mostly scratched up and bent parts outside the frame protected engine. The air tin surprisingly made it unscathed along with everything else on the left. The guy managed to turn my bike into two-face.

#9 ·
The Ins. company likes to total shit..

I had a wreck on my VTX1300C..woman turned left 50 feet in front of me..The bike was a '05 and the accident happened in '06. The bike had 8k miles on it. I bought it in July brand new,and the accident happened 13 months later.Looking at the pics you don't see much damage,tank on the right side,mirror,hand controls,wheels and frontend look fine,even the exhaust looks fine..still cant figure why they "totaled" it..but glad they did,coz thats when I bought my B :moped:

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

Attachments

#11 ·
I went through a situation that is just now closing in litigation. I was hit by an 18 wheeler because of the action of another driver. I was the only no fault party in the 3 vehicle accident. Right off the bat the other two parties' insurance companies went into full defense mode including suing me for causing the lead driver to lose control. This despite the fact she was 300 meters ahead of me when she lost control causing the 18 wheeler to lock up his brakes, jacknife, and hit me. The 18 wheeler slid past me to eventually tap bumpers with her in the snow. She said hi, and bye, and fled the scene. They caught her and slapped her with 3 misdemeanors and 2 felonies.

After all of that I am being sued be her and her lawyer. Even the judge was laughing at the attempt. But it has cost me work time over idiocy and desperation. My insurance company is defending me on those charges and my own lawyer on the damages to my SUV and person.

Trust me, start now, take your time, and find a good lawyer with a documented history of going to trial. Most of these firms just want to litigate forever. They don't care because they make their money on volume of cases and they avoid trials because that takes up their time. Their work ethic doesn't benefit you as they settle low and settle often. Get a lawyer now because you aren't just asking for damages and doctor bills today. What happens after you settle and 10 years from now that foot and ankle start to go. Too late, you already settled.

I hate lawyers and the fact people won't man up but they won't and their insurance companies will fight and without a good offense/defense you will come away looking like you tried to shave a wildcat's ass in a telephone booth. The system is built to force you to get a lawyer. It's self sustaining scumbaggery. Remember you are asking for damages today and for next year. Pain and suffering will make up the largest part of the settlement and will cover you down the road.

#14 ·
I went through a situation that is just now closing in litigation. I was hit by an 18 wheeler because of the action of another driver. I was the only no fault party in the 3 vehicle accident. Right off the bat the other two parties' insurance companies went into full defense mode including suing me for causing the lead driver to lose control. This despite the fact she was 300 meters ahead of me when she lost control causing the 18 wheeler to lock up his brakes, jacknife, and hit me. The 18 wheeler slid past me to eventually tap bumpers with her in the snow. She said hi, and bye, and fled the scene. They caught her and slapped her with 3 misdemeanors and two felonies.

After all of that I am being sued be her and her lawyer. Even the judge was laughing at the attempt. But it has cost me work time over idiocy and desperation. My insurance company is defending me on those charges and my own lawyer on the damages to my SUV and person.

Trust me, start now, take your time, and find a good lawyer with a documented history of going to trial. Most of these firms just want to litigate forever. They don't care because they make their money on volume of cases and they avoid trials because that takes up your time. Their work ethic doesn't benefit you as they settle low and settle often. Get a lawyer now because you aren't just asking for damages and doctor bills today. What happens after you settle and 10 years from now that foot and ankle start to go. Too late, you already settled.

I hate lawyers and the fact people won't man up but they won't and their insurance companies will fight and without a good offense/defense you will come away looking like you tried to shave a wildcat's ass in a telephone booth. The system is built to force you to get a lawyer. It's self sustaining scumbaggery. Remember you are asking for damages today and for next year. Pain and suffering will make up the largest part of the settlement and will cover you down the road.
Good advice.

#12 ·
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, lawyer up, make sure YOU are taken care of first, then the bike. If you have concerns about the bike being right after the rebuild then call the dealer and your adjuster, express your concerns, possibly in person with both parties present. As long as the frame is still square I would not be too worried. I am not sure about your insurance carrier but most will warranty the quality of the repair work for as long as you own it. Check your policy or ask your agent.
Good luck, heal quickly and well and Happy Holidays

#15 ·
I was in the hospital one month,and a rehab place for amonth.
I have a rod that runs down from my left knee,to me left ankle..I have 2 screws in my knee cap..a plate on my left ankle,held with pins and screws,and i had to have plastic surgery because i lost a good deal of soft tissue on my left calve.
I sued the ins companies,both mine and hers.
Luckily i had good coverage..100k/300k.
I was out of work for a year..the leg thats f'd up is my left leg,my CLUTCH leg/foot.. I drive a Big Rig for a living,been doing it almost 30 yrs.
The winter time is brutal on my leg..after the shysters cut I walked <limped> away with 65k..not NEARLY enough for what I went,and WILL be,going thru.
The B**** had the audasity to call me IN THE EMERGENCY ROOM..to tell me she is now AFRAID to drive the car!! :chair: :bash::spank: :banghead:

Skin Joint Human leg Flesh Leg

#16 ·
Horrible.

As far as 10 k goes..there's a right side contact and front fork damage , that's one.
There's is xxxx amount of members with same bike pretty much. I'm not one of them, I'm just a carpenter.
There is a x amount of money estimated already buy " reputable " legit dealer . Keep that estimate.
X;)X =pmxxxx
Good luck

#17 ·
They will total it. Once they go thru everything, it will total out. A scratch on the frame and a tin set nearly meets the standard. Insist on the frame being checked. Even if it was on it's side for a day, no harm. If it was running, the tip sensor shuts it off before it can hurt itself. Go over every inch of the bike - and any scratch or mar needs replacing. Even a scuff on the seat. Grips, levers, mirrors, signals, tin, frame, wheels, fork, brackets ---- it will total out. Focus on you - you can get another V. Get well soon! Joe

#27 ·
While in San Francisco, a drunk backed into my 2003 VRSCA and did $6500 damage...not totaled. I begged adjusters to total it. It took SF Dudley Perkins Harley 9 months to fix...dammit,waiting was the tough part.

#53 ·
Rift-

I have a buddy who had about $12,000 in damages done to his bike. Got it fixed and is still riding to this day. Runs just fine too. I wouldn't get rid of the bike just because, make sure you get it fixed right.

I'm not sure why he can't get on here anymore, he goes by Eazy and said he can't get on this site, but I'll ask him what all he had to get done and see if he will be willing to help another rider get his bike fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.