speed sensor [Archive] - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum

: speed sensor

v3rod
03-24-2008, 06:43 AM
Okay,does anyone know if a 05 speed sensor will fit an 02.the reason i ask is my wifes rod keeps cutting out in low rev 1st gear and her speedo has stopped working.i think this may be the problem as these things are usually linked if they happen at the same time.if they are the same i will swop mine to hers and see if it works.

stever975
03-24-2008, 07:48 AM
Okay,does anyone know if a 05 speed sensor will fit an 02.the reason i ask is my wifes rod keeps cutting out in low rev 1st gear and her speedo has stopped working.i think this may be the problem as these things are usually linked if they happen at the same time.if they are the same i will swop mine to hers and see if it works.The '02 vehicle speed sensor (VSS) is 74403-01C and the '05 VSS is 74402-05. I don't think they're easily exchanged. You'll see that the '05 version has a wire connector on the sensor body. The '02 version has a long attached wire coming out of it and must be disconnect under the cross rail near the fuse/relay housing. I don't have an '05 bike to look at so I'm not sure but if the triangular plug under the cross rail is still used in '05 you might be able to switch the entire '05 sensor and cable for the '02 sensor with attached cable. The wiring diagram and description in the manual suggests that the connector under the cross rail wasn't used in '05.

If it's just the speedometer and odometer that has quit (the tach still functions) then it might be the VSS but double check all the connections and trace the wires from the sensor to the ECM (pin # 33 in the ECM connector.) I assume the signal cancelling function related to speed is not working also.

RustyG
03-24-2008, 07:08 PM
Check for a DTC (Diagnostic trouble code).

v3rod
04-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Found the problem,Tech was checking fuses i think, and he must have moved the speed sensor cable.The a@@hole had pushed the cable that far down that it cut the wires ,causing it to short out.I seperated them reinsulated and both problems are gone. If i had taken it back to the stealers they would almost certainly have charged me for a new sensor plus labour.