stripped shock bolt [Archive] - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum

: stripped shock bolt

NVAL8
03-16-2008, 02:17 PM
I was removing the upper shock bolt in order to change the rear brake pads and the 8mm hex head stripped out on me. How can i go about getting it out? it seemed rather tight and has a long ways to go before it is removed. I was thinking a torx head and tap it in, but will that even hold up?

HighTechHarley
03-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Try tapping in an SAE allen that is slightly larger than the metric. Hold the bolt with that wrench and turn the big nut on the backside.

NVAL8
03-16-2008, 02:33 PM
this is the upper shock bolt.....there is no nut on the other end. what is a SAE allen?

speed4tu
03-16-2008, 02:36 PM
SAE is standard size. The opposite of Metric. Also if you have an air impact it would work better than a ratchet

GreysonWinfield
03-16-2008, 02:42 PM
1st make sure the bike is lifted. There is a type of nut on the inside, it is collared. You can either force a slighlty larger allen key as suggested. If you do make sure to tap it in so it goes in deep. I felt dirty typing that. The other thing you can do is notch the head with a Dremel and use a chisle or screw driver and tap it wih a hammer.

ndfspd
03-16-2008, 02:45 PM
I was removing the upper shock bolt in order to change the rear brake pads and the 8mm hex head stripped out on me. How can i go about getting it out? it seemed rather tight and has a long ways to go before it is removed. I was thinking a torx head and tap it in, but will that even hold up?
Raise the bike on a lift, let the rear wheel swing down, from the opposite side now you can see the big nut holding the bolt, using a 1 1/16" socket, swivel and extension you can now crack the nut loose. THis has worked for me. You can also fit the socket and a 1/2 drive ratchet in there without the extension now that the wheel is lower
Chuck

HighTechHarley
03-16-2008, 02:46 PM
this is the upper shock bolt.....there is no nut on the other end. what is a SAE allen?

I just had my fender struts and shocks off..there is a 27 or 28mm nut on the bolt that holds the upper shock and strut to the frame.

SAE is just standard American.

GreysonWinfield
03-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Raise the bike on a lift, let the rear wheel swing down, from the opposite side now you can see the big nut holding the bolt, using a 1 1/16" socket and extension you can try and crack the nut loose. THis has worked for me
Chuck

ndfsd is correct. This will be easier to get to if you remove the rear fender. It's a bitch with it on.

J-Rodvrscr
03-16-2008, 02:49 PM
vice grips

ElrodontheV-Rod
03-16-2008, 02:53 PM
You can try hammering a torx socket in the head,I've used this method and it works sometimes.
There is a 27mm headed nut on the inside of the frame on the top bolt.It's a little difficult to get a wrench on it,I use a short box wrench from a Yamaha tool kit.

If you destroy the bolt head beyond recognition,don't worry.With a sharp 3/8ths or larger drill bit,you can just drill the head right off,slide the shock off and use pliers to get the bolt out.

Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:

chrome
03-16-2008, 02:57 PM
vice grips
:them:

HighTechHarley
03-16-2008, 03:09 PM
vice grips

It's a button-head bolt, I don't think you'll be able to get enough bite to hold it with vise-grips. That bolt is torqued VERY tight.

Steppenwolf
03-16-2008, 04:06 PM
It's a button-head bolt, I don't think you'll be able to get enough bite to hold it with vise-grips. That bolt is torqued VERY tight.
It's a button head, but soft - vice grips. Been there, done that.

the_flcowboy
03-16-2008, 05:01 PM
we have all done it so dont worry raise bike and follow the oversizes route happens to us all

Steppenwolf
03-16-2008, 05:07 PM
we have all done it
:them: Those bolts just seem way too soft... I've been careful and still stripped two of them.

myvrodrocks
03-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Do you have access to a welder? Weld the nuts on the back in place. Then weld an old allen wrench to the bolt and discard.

If you tackweld the nuts to the saddle bag support brackets you will thank yourself 1000 times later...

J-Rodvrscr
03-16-2008, 07:08 PM
vice grips

grinder and vice grips, make 2 sides flat.....or drill a hole and easyout that MOFO, i am a mechanic, the next best option i would suggest...INVEST in nicer tools, i have a SMALL box i mean small box and i have over 5,000$ in tools, the best part about INVESTING in nice tools is stuff like this doesnt happen AS OFTEN, and when it does the other tool to fix it is always available :D

NVAL8
03-16-2008, 07:43 PM
I tried the oversized allen...no go. I tried the torx...also a no go. Seemed i could not get the right size torx. One size was to small and the next size up was way to large...even trying to tap it in would not work.

I have the fender off now and have access to the 27mm nut from behind. My question is this. If i crank on the nut will it loosen or will i need to hold the bolt from spinning?

I think i will have to cut a slash into the head and use a large scew driver or file at the same time a crank on the back bolt.....this should work right?

Steppenwolf
03-16-2008, 07:47 PM
Grab the head of the mofo with some vise grips - right on the edge of the button head, Turn. Reset vise grips. Repeat.

MY100
03-16-2008, 08:33 PM
I had this same problem just last week.

Was removing so I could take off my saddle bag mounts to grind them back so my 200 tire wouldn't scrub.

I tried just turning the nut from the inside and it just spun the nut and the bolt together.

I had to drill a hole through the center of the bolt then get a big socket to go on the inside of the bolt and an easy out tapped into the center hole of the bolt I drilled.

Then had my brother on one side with a big bar attached to the easy out and me on the other side with a huge breaker bar hanging off the socket.

After much heaving then an almighty "Crack" sound and the bolt finally was able to be undone.

Had this prob with a few bolts on the bike actually.

Hope this helps.

J-Rodvrscr
03-16-2008, 08:53 PM
geeze, weld the f***'n nut onto the inner fender, then take some vise grips and breat the mofo lose or grind it flat on 2 sides and put a wrench on it and use a cheater bar....remember NEVER force it....use the bigger tools :)

teamtempo
03-16-2008, 09:10 PM
This happened to me not long ago, what i did was cut thought the spacer and the bolt and replaced them with the chrome hardware,

RhinoRD
03-16-2008, 09:52 PM
:them:
I had the same thing happend and I had to cut the head off the bolt slid off the shock and then removed the remaining bolt with a stud removing tool
http://www.barksequipment.com/images/133.jpg:

myvrodrocks
03-17-2008, 04:46 AM
Soak the inside with WD-40 first.

I'm telling you, the welder is the easiset way.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67683&highlight=nut+welded

ElrodontheV-Rod
03-17-2008, 06:49 AM
This type bolt is used to retain the bell housing on 60 & 65E GM rwd transmissions,I remove several of them every week.Drilling the head off is sooo easy because they are 2 piece bolts.
If they were one piece bolts,they would cost $5 a piece to make instead of pennys.Same technology used to make valves and drill bits.

Elrod on the V-Rod

Euro Rod Rob
03-17-2008, 07:09 AM
I've had a similar problem on my sissy bar screws.
it seems we've bought a great bike that's held together with cheap ass nuts and bolts.

I'm gonna take the advice on this forum and am gonna buy me a real good set of tools, metric and standard, as it seems we have both on the babies.

I spent mor ethan 30,000 bucks on this bike (20,000 euro) with the extras
I now have; I think a grand on some good tools is well justified.

I'm slowly replacing every chocolate bolt with a good one as I do the next job. I got a great iron mongers just around the corner, he keeps all sorts of screws.

vrodderD
03-17-2008, 07:14 AM
Investing in good tools will pay for itself many times over in the long run. :thumb:

HighTechHarley
03-17-2008, 03:45 PM
The only problem I see with the vise-grips is that the edge of the button head is slightly recessed on the upper shock bolt. Not much left to work with there and the shock will get damaged if the pliers are used. The lower bolt would be no problem, as the entire bolt head is there to grab onto.

I like teamtempo's idea. Saw through the spacer.

myvrodrocks
03-18-2008, 04:04 PM
did you ever get the bolt out?

Slammed Rod
03-20-2008, 06:05 PM
My bike must have been built on a Friday afternoon.I have yet to come across a bolt I couldn't take off with hand tools.Some didn't even need a tool!!!!

HighTechHarley
03-20-2008, 08:13 PM
I have yet to come across a bolt I couldn't take off with hand tools.Some didn't even need a tool!!!!

:eek: I've broke loose several and checked near all but have never found a bolt less than very tight. Even the first oil filter was torqued well into the ft/lbs!

Wonder if he got the bolt off?

NVAL8
03-22-2008, 12:01 AM
yes...thank you i got the bolt off. It was rather easy once i thought about it some and took the advise from this thread. I sprayed some PB on it (stuff works amazing!) then i cut a large notch in the head and used a L bracket that i modded to fit into the notch and simple turned the large nut in the back with a ratchet....came right off with little effort.

thanks again

mr_vrodder
03-22-2008, 10:15 AM
I use cap heads like these now, stupid button heads have too small a wrench size.