How to remove engine? [Archive] - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum

: How to remove engine?

tailgunner
01-30-2008, 11:22 AM
I know some of you guys have taken your engines out of the frame. What is the best way? The service manual says to use the HD engine assy support fixture and slide it out the left side. I really don't want to buy that fixture if I don't have to. Any suggestions ?

bproulxvrod
01-30-2008, 11:28 AM
You don't need the support fixture. I just support the engine with my M/C jack and slide the frame off of the engine. That way the engine is sitting on the jack and you don't have to lift it.

Steppenwolf
01-30-2008, 11:33 AM
I did some creative engineering. I did most of the work with my bike on a Sears motorcycle jack. As I got close to removing the motor, I used ratchet straps to secure the frame to overhead rafters. I then lowered the jack temporarily, put some cut 2x4s in position under the motor and jacked them up so that the motor sat securely on the 2x4s on the jack. I was then able to use the jack to spin the motor out the left side of the frame.

tailgunner
01-30-2008, 11:45 AM
I did some creative engineering. I did most of the work with my bike on a Sears motorcycle jack. As I got close to removing the motor, I used ratchet straps to secure the frame to overhead rafters. I then lowered the jack temporarily, put some cut 2x4s in position under the motor and jacked them up so that the motor sat securely on the 2x4s on the jack. I was then able to use the jack to spin the motor out the left side of the frame.

Do you spin the front of the motor to the left?

tailgunner
01-30-2008, 11:46 AM
You don't need the support fixture. I just support the engine with my M/C jack and slide the frame off of the engine. That way the engine is sitting on the jack and you don't have to lift it.

Which way do you slide the frame?

Elgavilan
01-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Motor comes out on the left side and rotate the motor counter clockwise as you pull it out. Works pretty slick that way. I did mine by supporting the front end with straps from the rafters or you could put blocks under the wheels to get some lift, put a jack under the motor, slide the jack out and rotate the motor as you slide it out.

Mike

Steppenwolf
01-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Do you spin the front of the motor to the left?
Yes

tailgunner
01-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Thanks guys, I have the front end and swingarm already removed. I will give it a try tomorrow.

nic_a_bod
01-31-2008, 01:34 PM
I used a cherry picker on the frame and the mc jack on the motor, I left the motor in place and rotated the frame around the motor.

tailgunner
01-31-2008, 02:50 PM
I just finished getting the motor out. With everything off the frame except the wiring harness, it was easy. I put a piece of 3/4" plywood on the motorcycle jack under the engine. Than lifted and rotated the front of the frame to the right and then tipped it to the right . Piece of cake. Thanks for the input.

nic_a_bod
01-31-2008, 02:54 PM
I just finished getting the motor out. With everything off the frame except the wiring harness, it was easy. I put a piece of 3/4" plywood on the motorcycle jack under the engine. Than lifted and rotated the front of the frame to the right and then tipped it to the right . Piece of cake. Thanks for the input.

I think it's the hardest part of the engine tear down and put back, then if you spend oodles of hours making the frame pretty trying to put the motor back in gets you pissed.

Robert B
01-31-2008, 03:01 PM
I cut the neck off my frame and the motor came right out. I had to replace the frame any way...:D

Daniii
01-31-2008, 03:09 PM
Well, that explains a lot. Max and I pulled my motor out the right side. And replaced it through there as well.

nic_a_bod
01-31-2008, 05:02 PM
Well, that explains a lot. Max and I pulled my motor out the right side. And replaced it through there as well.

Max and I ha that's funny, all the pics I seen was just max :D

Daniii
01-31-2008, 06:20 PM
Max and I ha that's funny, all the pics I seen was just max :D Hey, I was holding the camera, ok?

And I might have handed him a wrench or sumpin, at least once.

rpjense
02-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Is there anyplace on the forum where there's a step-by-step checklist for stripping to your frame? Is the basic strategy;
1) Drain oil and radiator fluid
2) Remove tail section, seat, tank lid, side covers, sprocket cover
3) Remove airbox assembly and battery
4) Remove radiator assembly
5) Disconnect wiring from engine
6) Disconnect radiator piping from engine
7) Jack up bike
8) Remove rear wheel and swingarm
9) Remove Fuel Tank
10) Remove Front triple tree/fork assembly
11) Remove lower frame rails
12) Remove motor mounts
13) Remove motor
14) Strip wiring from frame

Is this the proper sequence? I'm at step 7 right now. It seems like the best bet is to remove everything so the frame is light, suspend the motor on a jack and then untangle the frame from the motor? The H-D manual doesn't really show the steps either...

nic_a_bod
02-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Well if you remove the swingarm you will need something supporting the motor as the engine mount is part of the swing arm. So I had everything done so I could pull the motor when I pulled the swing arm off.