Alarm not disarming [Archive] - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum

: Alarm not disarming

ldonsouthard
03-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Been having a weird problem with my 2009 Nightrod Special where it doesn't recognize the fact that I have the key fab. Initially, thought it was the key fab battery. Then I thought it was the fact the bike had been sitting for a few months and the bike's battery was dead. I replaced the key fab battery and charged the battery in bike. Also made sure key fab battery was in properly (+ down).

Initially, the bike recognized the key fab again. Then, as I'm riding, I see the key light go on again. Now it doesn't recognize the key again. Is there something I'm missing or do I need to take it to HD?

TEAZZR
03-11-2012, 08:41 PM
1The first thing I would do is replace your key fob battery first . I Know you already did this but it might be a bad battery..

2If it doesn't recognize it then check and see if the manual code for the bikes security works.

3If you have a smart siren - replace or check battery .

ldonsouthard
03-11-2012, 10:05 PM
Good feedback but I replaced fabs in both keys. What do you mean about smart siren? Is that a special battery on the bike itself?

1The first thing I would do is replace your key fob battery first . I Know you already did this but it might be a bad battery..

2If it doesn't recognize it then check and see if the manual code for the bikes security works.

3If you have a smart siren - replace or check battery .

TEAZZR
03-11-2012, 10:13 PM
The smart siren is a actual Plug & Play audible siren for your security.. If all your system did was flash the lights the you don't have the smart siren..

Do you have any diagnostic codes coming up on your Odometer Display when you enter into that function ??

SickRick
03-11-2012, 11:49 PM
key light coming on while riding, is indicative of a code being thrown.

Check your diag code history...

Rick

stever975
03-12-2012, 09:05 AM
... Initially, the bike recognized the key fab again. Then, as I'm riding, I see the key light go on again. Now it doesn't recognize the key again. Is there something I'm missing or do I need to take it to HD?SickRick is right. You have a DTC set in the HFSM (hands free security module).

Here's how to check and clear codes (http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7&postcount=1).

BTW, it's a fob (as in key fob) not a fab.

nightroddersp
03-12-2012, 10:19 AM
my key light comes on because of the clutch switch. i remember some one having problems with the back up battery for the security system when they disconected the battery for a long period of time. every time the key light comes on there is a code for the clutch switch. so you surely have a code stored.

ldonsouthard
03-12-2012, 10:23 AM
I believe that fixed it. In other words, I followed directions to check and clear diagnostic errors. Once I finished with that the bike started. I need to take it for a ride to validate this is not a recurring issue but keeping my fingers crossed that I'm back in biz and don't need to spend unnecessary $ at the dealer.

Thanks!

key light coming on while riding, is indicative of a code being thrown.

Check your diag code history...

Rick

ldonsouthard
03-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Nope problem persisted after riding down the road a bit. Took it into dealer as I was close to my 5k tune. Will post solution when fixed by dealer.

stever975
03-12-2012, 02:52 PM
.... I followed directions to check and clear diagnostic errors. ....

Nope problem persisted after riding down the road a bit. Took it into dealer as I was close to my 5k tune. Will post solution when fixed by dealer.What was the DTC that was set?

ldonsouthard
03-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Just got the bike back from HD service. Turns out it was because there is a sensor in the clutch lever that caused the problem. When I installed the new mirrors I did not have the grip close enough to the clutch lever so the sensor was going off. If I heard the guy correctly the bike thought I started the bike without pulling in the clutch which is not allowed. Might be off on the explanation but the bottom line is I did not have the grip close enough to the clutch lever and therefore sensor was not getting engaged.

RustyG
03-19-2012, 07:55 PM
If it continues to fail post the DTC here and save a trip to the dealer. The DTC that was being posted would have told you the clutch switch was failing. From that you probably have figured out it was your changing the levers that was the problem.

ldonsouthard
03-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Yes, I agree. Given I needed to get my 5K tune up anyways I delegated to them in this case. So in the end it cost me $0 to fix.

If it continues to fail post the DTC here and save a trip to the dealer. The DTC that was being posted would have told you the clutch switch was failing. From that you probably have figured out it was your changing the levers that was the problem.

Cooze
03-20-2012, 01:21 PM
was that a change in '09? I don't pull in the clutch to start mine..:confused:

stever975
03-20-2012, 01:44 PM
was that a change in '09? ...No, the clutch interlock switch was added to all HD models in 2007. This works along with the neutral switch as an "either one, the other, or both". So if you're in gear and pull the clutch it should start, if you're in neutral and don't pull the clutch it should start, or if you're in neutral and pull the clutch it should start.

Cooze
03-20-2012, 03:03 PM
No, the clutch interlock switch was added to all HD models in 2007. This works along with the neutral switch as an "either one, the other, or both". So if you're in gear and pull the clutch it should start, if you're in neutral and don't pull the clutch it should start, or if you're in neutral and pull the clutch it should start.

Got it.. I forget sometimes that people may start it in gear pulling in the clutch. I learned long ago NOT to do that :banghead: So it's always green means go with me hahahaha.