Longer forks? [Archive] - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum

: Longer forks?

NoFaith
12-09-2010, 11:50 PM
Hey guys, is it possible to take a 49mm fork tube off a 06 wide glide that is longer and make it work on my 03 v rod? I wanna give it a chopper look by raising the front end a bit. And does anyone know the stock tube length for my v rod? Thanks a lot

Malcomx
12-10-2010, 08:04 PM
There is a company that makes extended front ends for V-Rods. I don't remember the name. I think they look terrible, and I'm going to guess that they do very bad things to the handling.

baldharleydude
12-10-2010, 11:06 PM
This is the outfit I believe you're referring to: ChopperKitUSA (http://www.chopperkitusa.com/hd_vrod.htm)

NoFaith
12-14-2010, 05:24 PM
I know I have seen these kits before but I dont wanna go that extreme, just a little more height in the front end to give it a little more rake.

NoFaith
12-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Anyone? just need to know if it will work.

pecee
12-16-2010, 12:50 PM
wll you can buy those extension caps that extend the forks about 30mm .thats the easiest way to go.

NoFaith
12-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Looking for a good inch or two increase

Bruce Helland
12-16-2010, 09:02 PM
25.4 mm is one inch. Are these the caps that Rick's had?

NoFaith
12-21-2010, 08:53 PM
see i have to buy a new set of forks and triple trees anyways because I just bought a 03 v rod that had been crashed and needs new everything up front. Thats why I'm asking

Bruce Helland
12-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Check out Doherty Machine. They are making custom trees. Then you could use any tubes you want. My forks are just over 30" from axle centerline to cap. Dont know what the upper tubes themselves measure. Are your fork lowers OK? I would be afraid to use them myself but dont know the actual condition of what you have.
Another possible is a company called 'Forks by Frank' They used to make extended tubes but not sure if they are still around. Try a google search.... Good Luck!

NoFaith
12-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Ok dont think anyone is getting what I'm asking. I have an 03 v rod that was hit in the front end, I need a new triple tree, new upper and lower forks and am wondering if an 06 wide glide upper fork will fit in the lower fork of a v rod to raise the front up a bit, using stock v rod triple tree.

Bruce Helland
12-22-2010, 09:57 PM
What I am saying is that if HAVE to get new trees you have options. Do you have the wide glide tubes? Is that the reason you only want to consider them? Tell you what; get some measurments as far as axle diameter and caliper mounting then get back with me and I will compare to my '02.
Just trying to help ya bud. You got to do some checking for yourself

NoFaith
12-23-2010, 09:15 PM
I do not have any parts bought yet, I'm waiting till I get some answers here thats all. I need new trees, new upper and lower forks. My rim and calipers are good.

Bruce Helland
12-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Are you looking at stock trees? If the fork diameter is the same they will fit. That part is easy. What you need to check is if the axle diameter is the same and if the brake mounts will work with your rotors/calipers.
If you are looking at using wide glide trees all bets are off. Lots more work and questions involved there.

Guess we all need more questions answered... Starting with what trees you are planning to go with. Let us know what your plan is and then we may be able to help.

NoFaith
12-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Plan on going with stock v rod trees that hold 49mm forks. And this is what I have been trying to figure out if the 49mm wide glide forks will fit into the v rod lower forks so all caliper mounting and everything stays the same. Not looking to spend 2 grand on a front end either like a kit from chopperkit usa, I would love to but just cant afford it.

Bruce Helland
12-24-2010, 04:58 PM
Again I suggest 'Forks by Frank' via Google. If all you need is upper tubes for your fork setup they might be able to provide your desired length. Not sure if they go up to that diameter but they have been providing tubes for forks for years. Very good reputation and reasonable in cost. Worth a try.