Replacement Brake Lines? [Archive] - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum

: Replacement Brake Lines?

Elgavilan
01-15-2005, 12:41 PM
I have a lot of rust forming on the painted front brake hardlines under the triple tree. I know Chopper Steve has a chrome version available to replace the stock lines, but does anyone have any experience with stainless steel versions? Can the stock be replaced with all braided stainless? Are there any brake line replacement kits out there that would work for a V Rod? Any suggestions? :rolleyes:

fehrc
01-15-2005, 12:51 PM
I replaced all my stock lines with braided lines and all painted fittings with chrome fittings. It makes a huge difference in appearance! I bought the rear brake line from V-Mod and bought the front brake lines, clutch lines, and all chrome fittings from Russell. At the time I did it (about a year ago) there were no "kits" from Russell. However, it was simply a matter of measuring all lines and buying the proper fittings.

motorhed
01-15-2005, 02:02 PM
I replaced all my stock lines with braided lines and all painted fittings with chrome fittings. It makes a huge difference in appearance! I bought the rear brake line from V-Mod and bought the front brake lines, clutch lines, and all chrome fittings from Russell. At the time I did it (about a year ago) there were no "kits" from Russell. However, it was simply a matter of measuring all lines and buying the proper fittings.
how about a couple of pics of the finished product , I would be intrested in how you did the splitter ??

tbaransk
01-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Craig:

What did you use for the front brake line junction block/splitter for the duals?

Thanks! :thumb:

Tom

fehrc
01-15-2005, 02:40 PM
To be honest guys I forget what part I used for the splitter (it was a year ago) and on top of that it was my mechanic at my stealer who ordered the parts after we discussed what I wanted. From looking at it though it's a small disc that the three lines go into (well, one in and two out). I then chromed the splitter cover that HD sells to cover it. Don't mind the black plastic piece on the bottom of the splitter cover, it's a radar detector speaker and it's coming off!

Sorry for the terrible pics. The bike is in my garage (it's -23 here right now) and I'm not finished installing all my lights, etc (garage is in the midst of being finished). Also, these pics really don't do the lines justice. It's amazing just how much of a difference replacing these lines made. If you want, check out my gallery for some overall pics of the bike and how they fit the look.

http://www.v-rodforums.com/gallery/search.php?do=searchresults&searchid=737

If you want some more details about the pieces I used I'd be glad to talk to my mechanic about my setup and the particulars.

tbaransk
01-15-2005, 03:02 PM
Craig:

Thanks!!! :thumb:

It looks like they did a "custom" splitter. Russel also makes a one piece junction block (narrow glide) that looks like it will work, but the width (of the two down arms) is narrower than stock. My concern is that this will pull the brake lines in to rub on the front fender. However, it looks like your setup is about as wide as Russel's one piece junction block. Any problem with the lines rubbing on the fender?

Thanks again!

Tom

VrodG
01-15-2005, 03:08 PM
Heres a link for the brake lines........http://www.v-rodforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2841&highlight=Russell+brake+lines

motorhed
01-15-2005, 03:16 PM
I have a lot of rust forming on the painted front brake hardlines under the triple tree. I know Chopper Steve has a chrome version available to replace the stock lines, but does anyone have any experience with stainless steel versions? Can the stock be replaced with all braided stainless? Are there any brake line replacement kits out there that would work for a V Rod? Any suggestions? :rolleyes:

My rusted big time , I picked up a new one on e bay ,and sanded all the painted surfaces and put 2 coats of black paint on the tubing ,as thats the part that rusted . And the a coat or two of clear to help seal it . Looks ok but not quite as good as craigs there. after seeing his I might take the old one and get it chromed .But being on the front of the bike the front brake lines get blasted by the salt and moisture and turns to shit quickly

regards neil

mustanggt
01-15-2005, 03:18 PM
Any reason why you don't want to go with the HD chrome braided lines and chrome junction cover? Their available for the V-Rod now. Use the 25% off that Chicago HD is offering to save some cash.

fehrc
01-15-2005, 04:06 PM
Any reason why you don't want to go with the HD chrome braided lines and chrome junction cover? Their available for the V-Rod now. Use the 25% off that Chicago HD is offering to save some cash.

I didn't know that HD made the front, rear, and clutch lines as well as the fittings and the splitter. This wasn't available when I did mine but might be a good idea if the quality is there.

fehrc
01-15-2005, 04:08 PM
Craig:

Thanks!!! :thumb:

It looks like they did a "custom" splitter. Russel also makes a one piece junction block (narrow glide) that looks like it will work, but the width (of the two down arms) is narrower than stock. My concern is that this will pull the brake lines in to rub on the front fender. However, it looks like your setup is about as wide as Russel's one piece junction block. Any problem with the lines rubbing on the fender?

Thanks again!

Tom

No problem, Tom. The front lines are stiff enough, and are spread wide enough, that I don't have a problem at all with them touching the fender.

VrodG
01-15-2005, 04:25 PM
My reduced reach bars came with the chrome front brake lines assy , the dealer got me a chrome clutch line think it was a 04 part.

Ski got the part # for me

mustanggt
01-15-2005, 05:26 PM
The front brake line, clutch cable and throttle cables ( in chrome braided s/s) are all avilable for the V-Rod now. Check the 2005 HD big "wish book".

Sam_A
01-15-2005, 05:59 PM
Fehrc,
How did you get you brake calipers black? Powdercoat, epoxy, B-model? Im trying to decide what to do with mine- chrome or black. Ive got tons of chrome and Im worried about "over chroming", if that is really possible. Ive been thinking of painting mine with brake caliper epoxy paint, about $35. Or seeing if someone wants to trade a silver A set for a black B set. But Im not sure of the HD quality of black brake paint.
Yours look great, by the way.

Vinny
01-15-2005, 07:42 PM
I went the 'B' chrome HD clutch,front brake lines and braided throttle cables.The front brake line is all 1 piece.V-mod for the rear brakeline.

Jan
01-15-2005, 11:26 PM
The front brake line, clutch cable and throttle cables ( in chrome braided s/s) are all avilable for the V-Rod now. Check the 2005 HD big "wish book".

Any link to that?

VRODScout
01-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Not sure if this has what you are looking for, but it is the list of 2005 V-Rod parts...

fehrc
01-16-2005, 12:52 PM
Fehrc,
How did you get you brake calipers black? Powdercoat, epoxy, B-model? Im trying to decide what to do with mine- chrome or black. Ive got tons of chrome and Im worried about "over chroming", if that is really possible. Ive been thinking of painting mine with brake caliper epoxy paint, about $35. Or seeing if someone wants to trade a silver A set for a black B set. But Im not sure of the HD quality of black brake paint.
Yours look great, by the way.

Hi Sam

Thanks for the compliment. I powder coated my calipers. It was very inexpensive and turned out great. It only cost my CDN$60. I don't know if the company that powder coated them polished them first or not, however they came back just like I asked - with a smooth finish. I would highly recommend powder coating if black is what you're looking for.

fehrc
01-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Not sure if this has what you are looking for, but it is the list of 2005 V-Rod parts...
It's good to see HD making these parts now. Just as an FYI, I don't see them though in this list - must be in the big book.

Sam_A
01-16-2005, 05:57 PM
There on the web site. It would be over $300 US to get chrome and SS braid line from HD (clutch, f brake, throttle cables). Seems like a lot for lines, but then I havnt shopped around.

mustanggt
01-16-2005, 06:00 PM
There on the web site. It would be over $300 US to get chrome and SS braid line from HD (clutch, f brake, throttle cables). Seems like a lot for lines, but then I havnt shopped around.
Try Crystal River HD for 25% your first order or Hales for 20% everyday. Also keep an eye on e-bay, that's where I got my throttle cables for $77.00.

fehrc
01-16-2005, 06:37 PM
CDN$440 (so about US$300 at that time) is what I paid for the front brake lines, the clutch line and all hardware (banjo bolts, chrome lines, splitter, etc). Again, I ordered mine directly from Russell.

BTW, for the clutch line, does the HD line go all the way to the clutch and is the fitting at the clutch chrome as well?

Tom and Neil, I managed to find my receipt. The part number for the splitter is 247958. Hope that helps.

Zeal
01-18-2005, 04:08 AM
Craig

Great jpgs of the lines - how about some pics of the whole bike, it looks chromed up out of sight.

Zeal

Elgavilan
01-18-2005, 03:22 PM
Guys, thanks for all the info on the brake lines. I ended up ordering a V Rod kit from HEL Performance Products, www.helperformance.com. from England. All stainless steel for the complete setup for 116.00 sterling. I wanted all stainless so it would not rust and there would be no chrome to peel. I will post pics when I get the kit installed.

Mike

Jan
01-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Hi VRODScout, yes that it was. Thanks!

fehrc
01-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Craig

Great jpgs of the lines - how about some pics of the whole bike, it looks chromed up out of sight.

Zeal

Thanks for the compliments, Zeal. I've been meaning to get some better pics however just never seem to get around to it. I do have a couple in my gallery though if you want to check that out. The link is below. If you have any questions fire away.

http://www.v-rodforums.com/gallery/search.php?do=searchresults&searchid=812

:cheers:

beats
01-18-2005, 10:05 PM
Hey fehrc, you may know this already, but you can cut down your lic plate and get the smaller plate frame. I know Kanes thought I should order the larger one too but I like the smaller look personally so I got the small and cut the plate....any way food for thought.

fehrc
01-18-2005, 10:16 PM
Hi beats

How much were you able to cut your plate? I've got a personalized plate and the letters are already fairly close to the edge of the plate frame. I actually bought my plate frame from the Indian shop because I couldn't find one I liked that fit our large plates! I just wish they still made the smaller bike plates like they did in past years. Anyway, thanks for the tip and I look forward to hearing how much you were able to cut your plate. Also, what plate frame did you end up using?

mjw930
01-18-2005, 10:35 PM
Guys, thanks for all the info on the brake lines. I ended up ordering a V Rod kit from HEL Performance Products, www.helperformance.com. from England. All stainless steel for the complete setup for 116.00 sterling. I wanted all stainless so it would not rust and there would be no chrome to peel. I will post pics when I get the kit installed.

Mike

They have a US distributor. http://www.helusa.com/ Price is $159.00 plus shipping for all brake lines.

Of course I'm at a loss to figure out why you would remove perfectly good factory SS lines and put on aftermarket SS lines :confused:

Is all this money being spent because the factory lines have painted fittings????? If it is then HD is missing out on a great "upgrade" product :deal:

Elgavilan
01-18-2005, 11:17 PM
The factory lines on my 03 are all one piece with the ends of the braided line swaged onto the painted hardlines. The hardlines are rusting like crazy out here in this wet and salty environment so stainless is the best setup and these new lines are all braided stainless.

mjw930
01-18-2005, 11:31 PM
The factory lines on my 03 are all one piece with the ends of the braided line swaged onto the painted hardlines. The hardlines are rusting like crazy out here in this wet and salty environment so stainless is the best setup and these new lines are all braided stainless.

Ah, that makes sense, I knew I was missing something. :thumb:

tincup78
01-18-2005, 11:48 PM
Hi Sam

Thanks for the compliment. I powder coated my calipers. It was very inexpensive and turned out great. It only cost my CDN$60. I don't know if the company that powder coated them polished them first or not, however they came back just like I asked - with a smooth finish. I would highly recommend powder coating if black is what you're looking for.
Craig:

Looks great. I have a "B" model and I am trying to keep with the black and chrome look. Where did you get the calipers poder coated? I would love to do the same. Also how long were you without?

Jamie

beats
01-19-2005, 09:27 AM
I dont know the exact measurement (I am at work) but I ordered the small version of the chrome frame with Harley Davidson printed at the top. It is in the catalogs etc. I just cut it to fit that frame....

fehrc
01-19-2005, 12:06 PM
Thanks Beats, next time I'm in Kane's I'll see if they have one so I can see how much smaller they are.

fehrc
01-19-2005, 12:08 PM
Craig:

Looks great. I have a "B" model and I am trying to keep with the black and chrome look. Where did you get the calipers poder coated? I would love to do the same. Also how long were you without?

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Thanks. I had them done in Calgary at a place called Top Gun. I'm sure anyone in your area could do it though. I would definitely check around though to see who does quality work. I was only without them for a couple of days. It's a very quick and inexpensive process. Hope that helps.

:cheers:

Rollin' Hills
01-19-2005, 06:23 PM
Take a look at my picture of the trophy thingie, and zoom-in on the front wheel. Russell, is where it's at. When you measure width, be sure you take the distance from the calipers across to each other., otherwise you might be scraping on the fender. Besides that, it'll look funny!-Peace-Bob

ElrodontheV-Rod
01-20-2005, 07:02 PM
Mustanggt,I went to the dealer tonight to order chrome lines for my 03 A model.We could not find the lines anywhere.Do you have a Harley #? I can get a # and a price on the CVO lines but somebody told me they won't fit.Does anybody know why the CVO line won't fit?

Elrod on the V-Rod

mustanggt
01-20-2005, 10:22 PM
Mustanggt,I went to the dealer tonight to order chrome lines for my 03 A model.We could not find the lines anywhere.Do you have a Harley #? I can get a # and a price on the CVO lines but somebody told me they won't fit.Does anybody know why the CVO line won't fit?

Elrod on the V-Rod

part# 44712-04 but the description says they fit '04-later VRSCB models. What could the difference be?

part# 46377-05, VRSCSE

Good question, why wouldn't they fit.Anybody????

Let's put this way, I put them on my '02 and yes I haven't hooked them up to the m/c or the calipers but all 3 hose lengths are OK as far as I can tell.

ElrodontheV-Rod
01-21-2005, 06:59 AM
part# 44712-04 but the description says they fit '04-later VRSCB models. What could the difference be?

part# 46377-05, VRSCSE

Good question, why wouldn't they fit.Anybody????

Let's put this way, I put them on my '02 and yes I haven't hooked them up to the m/c or the calipers but all 3 hose lengths are OK as far as I can tell.

The length is what I was told,because of the "B" bars.I was also told that the CVO is an "A" model and should bolt right on. I will order the CVO line assy.today.List price is $137.I get 20% off.I went to the dealer last night to measure the CVO lines.They only had one "B" model in the whole dealer.I don't know what other dealers are experiencing for sales,but this one says they just can't keep a V-Rod,new,used or CVO.Their whole inventory is low now and the storage building has been remodeled into a repair area for 3 more bays w.2 techs.

Thanks Mustanggt

Elrod on the V-Rod :biker:

AWATERWORLD
08-19-2005, 02:06 AM
I just ordered all of the brake lines and clutch lines (as they are all chrome and braided) from the 05 VRSCSE for my 02 VRSCA, and they fit and look great. They were exactly like what I took off.

Vrod-tlam
08-19-2005, 08:23 AM
I just ordered all of the brake lines and clutch lines (as they are all chrome and braided) from the 05 VRSCSE for my 02 VRSCA, and they fit and look great. They were exactly like what I took off.

What did all that cost? I would like to do the same to mine.