clean my black pipes? [Archive] - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum

: clean my black pipes?

daniel
03-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Hi all, got vance and hines pipes on my 2010 night rod special, only done 4000 k's on it, the pipes have like stains on them, there the mat black pipes, is it burnt marks or from the heat? they almost look like rust spots comming through? is this normal? there starting to look pretty average! any advice? tried cleaning with metho didn't work.

Spanky7
03-21-2010, 10:30 AM
I had a black CFR that spotted, and I have heard others talk about their black pipes (someone I believe with a Rinehart 2-1) about rain and spotting on their pipes after. I am not sure what it is, but it sure seems like black pipes, whatever manufacturer, can be an issue on these bikes? I have 1 tiny little spot the size of a pin head on my Rinehart 2-1. If you were searching for it, you'd find it, otherwise you'd never notice.

Someone with a differing opinion, please chime in!

Bumbobee
03-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Would this work?

http://www.s100.com/s100_eb.htm

mattigar
03-22-2010, 07:18 AM
I used this stuff on the stock pipes/heat shield. I was amazed at how it smoothed everything out even--minor scuffs and discoloration. Made them look better than new, and almost gives them a "wet" look. I understand you will have to re-apply. Haven't needed to, yet.

Spanky7
03-24-2010, 08:37 AM
I used this stuff on the stock pipes/heat shield. I was amazed at how it smoothed everything out even--minor scuffs and discoloration. Made them look better than new, and almost gives them a "wet" look. I understand you will have to re-apply. Haven't needed to, yet.

I have the s100 wax, but not the engine brightner, I wonder if the engine brightner would be safe for the Rinehart?

dixon
03-24-2010, 12:51 PM
I tried the s100 engine bright on my stock heat shields, it does stay wet and it attracks dust. I wiped it off after a couple days. Been using armorall wipes ever since, makes them look great but i'am not sure using a petroleum base product is very good in the long run. In between apps they seem to be getting lighter and lighter. That engine bright works great on the black jugs.

guitarherd
03-29-2010, 07:02 PM
I just got the S100 Engine Brightener today, and used it on the stock heat shield on my '08 DX. When it went on, it was high gloss. I left it on for about 20 minutes, then wiped it down. The shield went back to a matte finish, but a far deeper black, with a sheen on it now. Looks fantastic! It does look like it may attract a bit of dust, though. We'll see. Good looking for now, though!

mattigar
03-29-2010, 09:19 PM
The pollen has been brutal here. So tonight I washed and waxed my bike. The heat shield still looked great after the wash. I kind of expected the heat shields to need another application after washing. I know it won't last forever, but even after a thorough wash, the heat shields still looked great. Highly recommend this stuff.