Finding Gas in Nevada ??? [Archive] - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum

: Finding Gas in Nevada ???

Philthy
04-30-2009, 10:21 AM
I'm planning my route from Ridgecrest CA up to Miller Motorsport Park near Tooele Utah for the US round of World Superbike. The route I want to take includes US 6 from Tonopah into Utah, but the leg from Tonopah to Ely concerns me. My map shows it is 169 miles, which may be a touch more miles than I can get out of a tank of gas on my Street Rod. It would depend on how restrained I am and the desert winds, which are not insignificant. Is there anyone familiar with that piece of road? I have Google satellited that piece of road till I'm blue in the face and darned if I can find a single gas station between Tonopah and Ely.
I'm also curious if there is any gas between Ely and Hinckley Utah. It looks like there might be something right on the Nevada/Utah state line but it's hard to tell. Google doesn't zoom in close enough in that location to really say for sure. Thanks.

AOW
04-30-2009, 12:00 PM
what year bike are you taking, and what sized fuel tank?
I know there's a truck plaza w/fuel near Tybo (still considered Tonopah) it's about 60 miles from Tonopah. IF you have the 5gal tank you should be able to fill up in Tonopah, stop and fill up again at the truck plaza, then ride the last 116miles to Ely. (TEXACO TONOPAH TRUCK AUTO PLAZA TRUCK STOP CONVENIENCE STORE GAS STATION 1500 S. Main Street PO Box 1684. Tonopah, NV 89049 775-482-5780 or 775-482-4528 )

tray
04-30-2009, 12:18 PM
I've only driven (in a truck) from Phoenix via Vegas, then RT.93 out of Vegas to 318 to RT. 6 then North to Ely - Wells - Jackpot - Twin Falls, ID. Not that familiar with St. Rt. 6 from Tonopah. If you had a 5 gallon tank fill up in Tonopah per AOW's suggestion and then top off in Warm Springs. Warm Springs is a large enough town to have at least a couple stations. That would give you about 120 miles to Ely which should be more than enough on a 5 gallon tank.

I know on 318 there were very few stations. Not many stations anywhere in this part of Nevada.

AOW
04-30-2009, 01:55 PM
If you're a HOG member, try using their online ride planner. I used it when I planned my ride from Pittsburgh,PA to VA Beach, and I was able to plot fuel stops and other crap.

josephthreedogs
04-30-2009, 02:41 PM
I've only driven (in a truck) from Phoenix via Vegas, then RT.93 out of Vegas to 318 to RT. 6 then North to Ely - Wells - Jackpot - Twin Falls, ID. Not that familiar with St. Rt. 6 from Tonopah. If you had a 5 gallon tank fill up in Tonopah per AOW's suggestion and then top off in Warm Springs. Warm Springs is a large enough town to have at least a couple stations. That would give you about 120 miles to Ely which should be more than enough on a 5 gallon tank.

I know on 318 there were very few stations. Not many stations anywhere in this part of Nevada.

No gas in warm springs, bar and restaurant is also closed. As far as I can remember Warm Springs has never had a population over ten.

tray
04-30-2009, 02:58 PM
My mistake then. I thought there was a station at the intersection of 6 and the Area 51 highway, whatever they call it. Wasn't there a resort around there?

AOW
04-30-2009, 03:29 PM
there's a Texaco near Tybo, that's a couple miles off of 6, but that's the only station I remember. When you google fuel near Tybo it gives you the address of Tonopah, so now I'm not sure it's even still there. Other option would be to purchase and fill a 3 or 5 gal gas tank and strap to the passenger pillion before you leave Tonopah

vesteroid
04-30-2009, 04:31 PM
there's a Texaco near Tybo, that's a couple miles off of 6, but that's the only station I remember. When you google fuel near Tybo it gives you the address of Tonopah, so now I'm not sure it's even still there. Other option would be to purchase and fill a 3 or 5 gal gas tank and strap to the passenger pillion before you leave Tonopah

I just came though tonopah last weekend but went the other way on 6 going over to 395 so I could hit the twistys.

thats a scary part of the desert for gas. I would find out for sure before making that ride, there are tons of roads with NOTHING on them for 100 miles out here.

gator582
04-30-2009, 04:57 PM
Could AAA be of any help with this? I'm not a member so don't know what all they have in their database.

AOW
04-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Yeah, pretty sure I would be strapping a full gas can to the passenger pillion before heading to Ely.

xl-rod
04-30-2009, 05:25 PM
If I'm reading this correctly, my response would be; when heading north out of Ely, NV on 93 you come to a junction where 93 and 93Alt meet. 93 goes north, nw to Wells, NV and 93Alt heads north, ne to the NV/UT border. At this junction, where 93 and 93Alt meet is a mom-and-pop place that has gas and food. It has been three years since I had stopped here though and cannot remember the name of the establishment. But they did have regular and premium gas. The times I have been to the Laughlin River I have stopped here to top off when I had my orginial 3.7 gallon tank. You could call the Shell station in Wells,NV., they orginally told me about this place.

Philthy
04-30-2009, 06:13 PM

There are no homes or businesses in Warm Springs at all. Just a few shacks built over the springs.

Philthy
04-30-2009, 06:25 PM
If I'm reading this correctly, my response would be; when heading north out of Ely, NV on 93 you come to a junction where 93 and 93Alt meet. 93 goes north, nw to Wells, NV and 93Alt heads north, ne to the NV/UT border. At this junction, where 93 and 93Alt meet is a mom-and-pop place that has gas and food. It has been three years since I had stopped here though and cannot remember the name of the establishment. But they did have regular and premium gas. The times I have been to the Laughlin River I have stopped here to top off when I had my orginial 3.7 gallon tank. You could call the Shell station in Wells,NV., they orginally told me about this place.

From Ely I was hoping to continue east on US 6. Riding north on US 93 puts me on that long boring stretch of I-80 across the Salt Lake. I was hoping to find more interesting scenery riding over the mountains to Hinckley and then north to Tooele. I think I will have to either buy a couple of those aluminum bottles for camp stove fuel ( white gas ) and put gasoline in them. Those pack small.

Philthy
04-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Anyone know if there is gas in either Lund or Preston Nevada? They're a couple of miles off US 6 well south of Ely.

Philthy
04-30-2009, 06:37 PM
Ah, found a 24 hour gas station in Preston, six miles off of US 6. My travel plans are salvaged.

xl-rod
04-30-2009, 06:37 PM
Anyone know if there is gas in either Lund or Preston Nevada? They're a couple of miles off US 6 well south of Ely.

Lund on 318, there is motel, I think it is Lanes Ranch Motel that has gas. I have stopped here too. It if first thing you come to when turn off of US 6 onto 318.

Edit, forgot about Preston, as it is by Lund. So the motel I was thinking is actually in Preston. As Preston will be first thing on 318 from US6. With the link below, which is a satellite view, in middle is the gas station. Moving up to the left is the small motel. However, it may be different name than what I documented above. Sorry for the confusion, it has been a while since I have been down that way.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Nevada+89314&ie=UTF8&hl=en&f=q&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=23.875,57.630033&t=h&ll=38.913092,-115.043206&spn=0.005059,0.009334&z=17

gator582
04-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Hadn't looked at a Nevada map in many years - that is some seriously empty country out there. Glad you found a pump or two.

Hal64hd
04-30-2009, 07:31 PM
When I run at long distances out in the middle of nowhere (BFE) I back way off the throttle which makes for a long boring ride but at least I'll have enough fuel to make it

Elvis Coyote
04-30-2009, 08:44 PM
When I took a trip on 395 from Oregon to Reno, I took a 1gal can (plastic)of fuel. Packed easy inside the mounting band of my Kuryakyn Grantour bag without effecting my luggage space. Love my blackberry bold with ATT navigator. It will tell me where anything is, anywhere I ask:)

AOW
04-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Love my blackberry bold with ATT navigator. It will tell me where anything is, anywhere I ask:)
trust me, there ain't shit out along 6 that AT&T could find for you. And I would suggest at least 3gals in that area.